Wow, what is with this absolutely crazy gale wind today?! Went to uni this morning and the wind was blowing against me so hard that I was actually forced to stagger off the footpath, which under any other situation, would have been laughable had not everyone been in the same situation!
Comfort food, please, my belly shouted at me at noon. It was then that I remembered I still had two zucchinis left over from my vegetable lasagne last week, and having flicked through some cookbooks a few weeks ago, I remembered I had jotted some notes down from Bill Granger’s Bill’s Food on this recipe for Zucchini Fritters with Yoghurt Sauce.
I do find feta a little overbearing though, and I’m trying to save money at the moment and not spend so much on ingredients. I therefore decided to substitute the feta cheese in his recipe for some pizza cheese (mozzarella, Parmesan, cheddar) I already had at home instead. Therefore, all I had to get at the supermarket was a little tub of plain yoghurt for the dipping sauce, as you just really can’t have plain fritters. I don’t believe in doing things by half… but you knew that already, didn’t you? 😉
I’ve modified the recipe a little for the cheese and also for the amount of ingredients I had available. This will give you about seven fritters, each 7cm in diameter.
- 2 medium sized zucchini;
- 1/4 t sea salt;
- 10g parsley leaves, chopped finely;
- 5g mint leaves, chopped finely;
- 1 full spring onion (or shallot, whatever you want to call it), chopped;
- 50g pizza cheese;
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten;
- 40g plain flour;
- 40 ml olive oil, for shallow frying.
For the yoghurt sauce, you will need:
- One small clove of garlic, minced;
- 100g plain yoghurt;
- 2t olive oil (extra virgin if you have it);
- 1T lemon juice;
- Sea salt and pepper.
1. Grate your zucchini into a bowl and scatter over the sea salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Make your yoghurt sauce by putting the yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl and stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Drain zucchini and squeeze out the excess water. Stir in beaten egg, herbs, spring onion, cheese and flour.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan and spoon large spoonfuls (or in my case, a small ladle) of the batter into the oil.
5. Fry over a medium heat until brown on either side. Remove and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
6. Serve hot with lemon wedges and the yoghurt sauce. Preferably eat with a cup of hot mint tea while watching the havoc outside from the warmth of your kitchen 🙂