Okay. I know I said in my last blog entry that I was a bit over chocolate… how quickly the moods of women swing, you must be saying! Because lo and behold, is yet MORE chocolatey goodness. Will of iron? I tell you, my will is more like Play-doh when it comes to irresistible food!
So anyway, the story behind these babies? Well I had a whole box of peanut butter frosting left over after icing a cake for a friend’s party this week… The recipe for the frosting is from my Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Raspberry Jelly Macarons (find it here). I only had about a third of the whole amount left, so I’m afraid you’ll have to find your own way to but the other two-thirds to good use. Hard luck!
And then I saw the recipe for this on Donna Hay’s website recipe glossary, which comes from the 10th Birthday Special Collector’s Edition, 2011. And with my sister having bought me a box of the most beautiful couverture dark chocolate… surely there wouldn’t be a better way to use up the remainder of my frosting!
To quote Nigella Lawson: Now, to business. Or rather, pleasure.
To make eight brownie cookie sandwiches (16 cookies), you will need:
- 175g dark chocolate, chopped;
- 20g butter;
- 1 egg;
- 75g caster sugar;
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste;
- 18g plain flour, sifted;
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder sifted (apologies for the measurement).
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Place 100g of the chocolate and the butter in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Over a low heat, stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
2. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for almost five to eight minutes until pale and creamy. Stir through the flour, baking powder, chocolate mixture, as well as the remaining chocolate.
3. Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes to thicken.
4. Spoon tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on trays.
For your peanut butter frosting (you will only need about a quarter to a third of this quantity for this amount of cookies):
- 110g butter, softened;
- 1 + 1/4C icing sugar, sifted;
- 1t vanilla paste;
- 1-2T milk;
- 2-3T smooth peanut butter.
1. Beat the butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add half of the icing sugar, then one tablespoon of milk. Beat well before adding the remaining icing sugar, then determine whether you will need the remaining tablespoon of milk.
2. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the peanut butter and beat until well combined.
Spread half of the cookies with the peanut butter frosting.
Top with the remaining cookies.
Pure, utter, sugar and chocolate heaven.
‘Eat me!!’ they positively cry. ‘You know you want to!’
And how could I possibly refuse? 🙂